Monday, February 28, 2011

Low fat, Tahini-free Hummus

Hi Friends! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekends!

Hummus is one of my all-time favorite foods. However, tahini (sesame seed paste) bugs my stomach. Apparently, I am allergic to sesame seeds, and I know that this allergy isn't uncommon. While store-bought hummus is very convenient, it almost always contains tahini, so I just make my own hummus!





Low Fat, Tahini-free Hummus
-1 can Garbanzo Beans, liquid reserved
-2T fresh Lemon Juice
-1 clove Garlic
-1/3t salt + ¼ tsp pepper (or to taste)
-½T Olive oil
-1/2 tsp Cumin
Makes about 1 cup

Drain and rinse the chickpeas, reserving the liquid. In a blender or food processor, combine garbanzo beans, cumin, lemon juice, garlic, oil. Add the reserved bean liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until there is enough liquid needed to fully combine the ingredients. Blend until smooth.

*Note: I recommend peeling the "skins" off the chickpeas. Although this is time-consuming, it results in a creamier hummus.

Do you have any food allergies or sensitivities?

What is your favorite way to eat hummus? Crackers, baby carrots, cucumber slices, in a salad, I'll use any food as an excuse to eat hummus!

xoxo Tina

5 comments:

  1. the last time i made hummus, i didn't peel the skins off, so maybe i will next time! i eat hummus with pita chips or carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am lactose intolerant....but i cant seem to give it up!!!
    I love pretzel thins with hummus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina! I found your blog through Averie's 'Love Veggies and Yoga.' I just enrolled in the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and I am SO. EXCITED. Did you attend the live classes since you are in NYC? I can't believe how many graduates of IIN I have stumbled upon lately. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention before, but I seem to be surrounded by them! ha! I am in Pittsburgh, there are four other Pittsburghers enrolled in my March 2011 class! Anyways.. love your blog, I will be following. I am intolerant to gluten and dairy. How did you discover your intolerance to sesame seeds? Seems like a random one, and I am sure there are more little things I am intolerant to as well. This is turning into the longest comment ever. Feel free to check out my blog, it is wimpy but I am trying to get it off the ground http://thegfpseudovegan.blogspot.com/ and feel free to email me as well. kckedziora@gmail.com talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pretty much eat hummus on anything and everything! This looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for an easy hummus recipe without the tahini, this is just what I needed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete